Re: Windows Dia version under WinXP

At 18:55 05.08.03 +0100, Alan Horkan wrote:

>On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, Vlad Pomelov wrote:
>
>> Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 20:48:38 +0500
>> From: Vlad Pomelov <radioam@nm.ru>
>> To: dia-list@gnome.org
>> Subject: Windows Dia version under WinXP
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> Your program is very good and useful. But the console window
>> permanently shows errors,
>
>As far as I know there is not yet an option to disable this information.
>There probably should be but that might have to wait until Dia 1.0 because
>technially all the current releases of Dia are unsupported Beta software
>and we need feedback on any bugs that you might find.  Without the command
>line error messages it is a lot harder to figure out what is happening
>when things go wrong.

blah (is this a feature suggestion ?)

>> and program work rather slowly.
>
>GTK2 on windows sucks rocks
blah (feel free to not use it!)

>and is far less responsive than GTK1.
... as is Dia itself (font scaleing iterations)

>I still use Dia 0.90 quite a lot because it is more responsive.
>
>Things should improve with the next release Dia as Dia will be able to use
>a slightly newer version of GTK2.

blah, blah [Alan if you don't know what you are talking about
why talk at all ?]

One of the main performance issue is Dia's interaction
with Pango (trying to be smart when scaling to match text width)

Another one is eyecandy which we all want, don't we ? Anyway, even
if we don't want it, there is no way back other than sticking with the
old version ...

Vlad : Try to set the environtment variable

PANGO_WIN32_NO_UNISCRIBE=1

which should increase Pango - i.e. font rendering - speed a lot,
if you are using the prebuilt DLLs from tml.

Regards,
	Hans