Re: 0.91 Problems

On 01 Apr 2003, pvspam-dialist@hacklab.net wrote:
> Linux Mandrake 9.1 rc2. Dia 0.91 downloaded today. Compile/Install is
> fine. Problems I have here are during use.
>
> 1. I'm hand-tweaking the Dia savefile and... oh, my. It's all one big
> long line now. 182 kilobytes of unformatted XML. Oh. If you must know.
> I'm trying to change about 40 different classes to use the "Serif" font
> rather than Monospace. :)

That's a libxml2 thing.  It's supposed to have a prettyprint bit, but I
didn't get it to work last I tried.

> 2. Font rendering oddities... Perhaps it's because I'm using a laptop
> and I've told GNOME to anti-alias my fonts in laptop style, but
> sometimes the fonts on my UML classes get REAL UGLY (artifacting,
> apparent double-writing of font in slightly-different locations). If I
> click on the class, then the fonts re-render to beautiful. Sometimes if
> I press the CTRL key, it makes fonts on many many classes very ugly.

Yes, I've noticed that as well.  It's quite strange, and I haven't quite
figured out when it happens.

> 3. OMFG it's slow. If I choose a zoom not in (50%,100%), it takes
> forever and a day to scroll around my class diagram. I'm running a
> P4-1.7GHz with 392MB RAM. Zooming at 50%/100% although about 1/10th the
> speed of 0.8x, is tolerable. Hrm. Creating a new diagram and changing
> size doesn't seem to have the same problem. Does anyone want the
> Autodia-generated XML file to try to recreate these problems? It's about
> 5k compressed.

With or without AA?

> 4. At each startup, complains of missing
> /usr/local/lib/dia/libxslt_filter.la. Dunno what this is.

Must have been compiled with libxslt support, but now can't find the plugin.

> 5. Crashes, dumps core. Can't discern a pattern here. Just seems to do
> it every 5-15 minutes when I click some button or save some file or
> close some window.

Eeeek!  What window manager are you using?  With or without AA?  This
happens only when you do something?

I admit that my uses recently have been so easy that I don't think they've
gone above 5 minutes, but then they were really small diagrams.

> 6. Can't assign keyboard shortcuts to tools in the right-click menu.
> Seems to be either a GTK2 bug, or they took this functionality away from
> us entirely. If that's the case, how do I assign a keyboard modifier to
> go from select to move to text??? Does there need to be a "keyboard
> properties" dialogue created? Am I just stupid and I've unchecked some
> box on some system properties menu?

Add

gtk-can-change-accels=1

to ~/.gtkrc-2.0.  I don't know why it's turned off by default (maybe it's
"too confusing" for newbies), but that should fix it.

Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause)| HĂ„rdgrim of Numenor