Re: a future Dia package for geometrically precise mathematical figures?

Hello -- glad that that there is some interest in this.

I saw that full-fledged rotation is still in the works, that is something
that would be a must for a powerful math graphics tool. If I am going to
play with the code, is it ok if I use the latest Darwin port
(0.88.1-2, obtained through the Fink repository)?

Joe Corneli

ps. Are there -any- open source programs that do constraint solving stuff,
or would dia be the first ?

> How much of this has been done? How much is possible with Dia? Are
> there people out there interested
> in working on a project like this? Advice or leads and any other
> feedback is appreciated.

How much has been done ? Practically none. It would be trivial to modify
PROP_TYPE_POINT to have a property editor widget, giving one of your points
(exact coordinates).

constraints tools a la AutoCAD or better, SolidWorks, with a constraint
solver, would be insanely great, but aren't the most trivial thing to do (I
don't think it would be an unwelcome addition at all !)

-- Cyrille

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 02:02:34PM +0100, Alan Horkan wrote:
> I remember someone mentioned they were considering making a tool to allow
> the drawing of N sided polygons (and maybe stars) where the user can
> specify N (and i bemoaned that by the time of the next release the
> Polygons i drew would be obselete).
> I dont have time to find the link for you, hopefully the person who
> mentioned it will speak up

Hi,

that was me. I have it mostly working, but it needs polishing yet. I will try to
offer it as soon as I will get to finish it

Jarda Benkovsky