Re: 2-D CAD/CAM

On Monday, 23 September '02, Alan Horkan wrote:

> On 23 Sep 2002, Lars Clausen wrote:
>
>> Date: 23 Sep 2002 10:51:03 -0500
>> From: Lars Clausen <lrclause@cs.uiuc.edu>
>> To: dia-list@gnome.org
>> Subject: Re: 2-D CAD/CAM
>>
>> On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Alan Horkan wrote:
>> >
>> > below is a response to a message on the Sodipodi list As Dia is more
>> > design oriented than sodipodi i was surprised that he had not even
>> > considered Dia
>> >
>> > I was thinking maybe i will have time to produce more shapes soon.
>>
>> If you feel like making slightly less serious shapes, I was thinking
>> about maps shapes (interstate, highway etc) and military shapes
>> (infantry/tank/artillery etc).
>
> Ooh Tanks, got any example bitmaps?  Ill get drawing today and tommorow.

The military symbols: http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/books/korea/ebb/sym.htm

Map symbols: The more complex ones, for topographical maps, are described
at http://mac.usgs.gov/mac/isb/pubs/booklets/symbols/ I was thinking more
like http://www.mtq.gouv.qc.ca/carte_routiere/PDF/legende_en.pdf (Canadian)
or its US equivalent (which I haven't found yet).

> I have been thinking about doing map shapes but i think i need to be able
> to click objects to objects (rather than using just grid alignment)
> before i could do nicely tiled maps.  (i have not given this a lot of
> thought, i just dont immediately see how i could produce really nice maps
> in Dia).
>
> I hope to get a demo copy of Visio in the next day or two so i will be
> able to study the inteface and provide some example files.
> Do we have anywhere to store files?  an archive/gallery or do we just
> attach files to bug reports?

There's a visio directory in the dia-web CVS, I've been putting random
samples in there.