Re: lines

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, Alan Horkan wrote:

> On 12 Sep 2002, Lars Clausen wrote:
>
>> Date: 12 Sep 2002 15:32:45 -0500
>> From: Lars Clausen <lrclause@cs.uiuc.edu>
>> To: dia-list@gnome.org
>> Subject: Re: lines

>> > This isn't really done yet.  It could possibly be done similarly to
>> > Control... actually, you're giving me an idea.  Let me get back to
>> > you.
>>
>> Almost worked.  I just need to figure out the right handle, and how to
>> tell if the object is an Element.  The first part is the trickiest.  And
>> there are more pressing things right now (such as getting text in PNG
>> output back in shape).
>
> If and when you do get around to adding this to make sure it is useful
> for usability i would suggest having some sort way for user to discover
> this functionality (ie a menu item) without having to read documentation.

At the moment, I'm still puzzled about how to get from the mouse position
to the aspect ratio position.  It's easy when you are moving the lower
right handle, but much trickier with the other handles.  It seems to me
that it's reasonable to have Ctrl+(move element handle) be fixed aspect
resize (though shift might be a better choice).  I can see few cases where
you really need to have horizontal/vertical movement for resizing
elements.  The same problems would apply whether we use a key modifier or a
menu entry.