Re: Will the real libiconv please stand up! Was : Re: [Mingw-users] baby steps, an half-finshed packaging of libiconv (very boring)

James Michael DuPont wrote:

> Well, funny enought, I found out that FSF does not own the libiconv,
> but the gettext. It is quite confusing.
>
> Bruno Haible has THREE! different CVS controls of the sources,
> two on sourceforge (libiconv,clisp), one on savannah. And none on the
> GNU CVS.

Ok, so we have too many CVS versions, hopefully all kept in sync.  BTW, there
are two for mingw-runtime and w32api.

> > > Then we need to have a link on each of these projects as to who is
> > > doing what.
> > >
> > > Believe me, I dont want to spend any more time than needed on this
> > at
> > > all!
> > >
> > > Maybe a WEBRING would be best, at least you all have each others
> > names,
> > > now please start talking, agree on a standard disclaimer about
> > where to
> > > go to get the newest version, who is doing what.
> >
> > The fight that needs fought is the convincing of each porter to use
> > the
> > subversions CVS.
> Ok, this is where it gets more confusing.
>
> Gettext is a GNU package, fsf assigned copyright.
> But the libintl that contains some of the functions is part of the libc
> and is not assigned.
> http://www.gnu.org/directory/Localization/gettext.html
>
> Iconv is and is NOT GNU package, but not assigned.
> http://www.gnu.org/directory/Localization/libiconv.html
> It is also not in subversions.

> !!! AND IT IS IN A NEW CVS REPOSITORY !!
> So it is maintained in THREE DIFFERENT CVSes!!
> USER@cvs.clisp.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/clisp
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/clisp/libiconv/?cvsroot=clisp
>
> George Greve talke about is here:
> http://www.gnu.org/brave-gnu-world/issue-30.en.html
> "The GNU libiconv [13] is the character set conversion library of the
> GNU Project; through the iconv() function it offers programs the
> functionality of convert documents between different character sets."
>
> I think this is very very very confusing for anyone,
> no wonder why this is so painful!

Yea, me too.  I'll respond to this more later.

Earnie.