Re: Will the real libiconv please stand up! Was : Re: [Mingw-users] baby steps, an half-finshed packaging of libiconv (very boring)

--- Earnie Boyd <earnie_boyd@yahoo.com> wrote:
[SNIP]
> > In the end, I want to a set of debian source packages that can be
> > compiled using apt-source/dpkg for windows without any tweaking.
>
> I'd be happy for this.

Well It is coming along, the DEBIAN package puts the original sources
and a diff file, and the instructions on how to build all in one spot.
I hope that I will be producing results soon. But have alot of real
world stuff to do like you do as well.

> > If the sources had been at the DIA site, then I would have used
> thiers,
> > or at the GIMP/GTK port.
> >
> > You guys need to fight is out as to WHO is the REAL slim shady!
> >
> > Will the real "libiconv" please stand up? Please stand up!
> >

> The real libiconv would be the one who owns it, the FSF.  One of the
> problems with these
> smaller packages is the lack of CVS support.  If the official
> maintainer
> used CVS then a
> branch could be set and all of the above porters would have
> contributed
> to the same port.

Well, funny enought, I found out that FSF does not own the libiconv,
but the gettext. It is quite confusing.

Bruno Haible has THREE! different CVS controls of the sources,
two on sourceforge (libiconv,clisp), one on savannah. And none on the
GNU CVS.

> > Then we need to have a link on each of these projects as to who is
> > doing what.
> >
> > Believe me, I dont want to spend any more time than needed on this
> at
> > all!
> >
> > Maybe a WEBRING would be best, at least you all have each others
> names,
> > now please start talking, agree on a standard disclaimer about
> where to
> > go to get the newest version, who is doing what.
>
> The fight that needs fought is the convincing of each porter to use
> the
> subversions CVS.
Ok, this is where it gets more confusing.

Gettext is a GNU package, fsf assigned copyright.
But the libintl that contains some of the functions is part of the libc
and is not assigned.
http://www.gnu.org/directory/Localization/gettext.html

Iconv is and is NOT GNU package, but not assigned.
http://www.gnu.org/directory/Localization/libiconv.html
It is also not in subversions.
!!! AND IT IS IN A NEW CVS REPOSITORY !!
So it is maintained in THREE DIFFERENT CVSes!!
USER@cvs.clisp.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/clisp
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/clisp/libiconv/?cvsroot=clisp

George Greve talke about is here:
http://www.gnu.org/brave-gnu-world/issue-30.en.html
"The GNU libiconv [13] is the character set conversion library of the
GNU Project; through the iconv() function it offers programs the
functionality of convert documents between different character sets."

I think this is very very very confusing for anyone,
no wonder why this is so painful!

mike

=====
James Michael DuPont