Re: noise: Freetype and Windows

--- Lars Clausen <lrclause@cs.uiuc.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Alan G. Isaac wrote:
> > This is probably just noise, so forgive me.
> > But I was puzzled by the claim that FreeType
> > cannot be used under Win32 and the claim
> > "Apart from a standard ANSI C library, FreeType 2 doesn't
> > have any external dependencies and can be compiled and
> > installed on its own on any kind of system."
> >  http://freetype.sourceforge.net/freetype2/index.html#requirements
>
> Well, our main Win32 guy, Hans Breuer, said this the last time I
> suggested
> using all FreeType:
>
> -----
> It is currently broken (just once more: please read 'Heads up on
> Pango Head')
> cause it uses fontconfig which appears to work on X but IMHO needs a
> complete rewrite to fit into the win32 platform. Remember on win32
> there already is a built-in font configuration which does not require
>
> an *nix like config files but provides device independent font
> matching
> (same code can be used to render to display or printer or to wmf).
> This exactly is what the win32 specific Dia print code does.
> -----
>
> The "Heads up on Pango Head" mentioned is a thread on gtk-i18n-list
> and
> gtk-devel-list.  It's not FreeType itself (sorry if I made it look
> that
> way), but the Pango interface to FreeType.

This is interesting,
currently I am working on free type, getting other errors, but am
planning on porting it and pango. If dia does not need it, then ok.
Otherwise, there is defoma, the debian font manager. Otherwise I am
willing to give it a try, please tell me more.

BTW, check out the current status of the debian mingw32 report at
http://introspector.sourceforge.net/dia_win32.htm

The newest zlib, libpng are waiting for testers, any takers? All the
instructions are on the webpage.

Currently I am working on gtk+, libtiff, libjpeg and freetype (later
pango). freetype has been ported to libsdl.

There is also a new mailing list to cover this port,
http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/introspector-mingw32

Thanks to Mikes Garnsey for all his help, and Tor Lud. for his
continuing support and kind words. Hans for his great work as well.

please help the effort to build a free enviroment to write software in
for windows under debian. The cygwin32 port of debian has enough done
to be used with my packages, if anyone wants to help test that, I have
some tests as well.

Mike
mike

=====