Re: changing properties dialogue

On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, James K. Lowden wrote:

> Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 19:52:22 -0400
> From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
> To: dia-list@gnome.org
> Subject: Re: changing properties dialogue

Thanks for the clarification

> The error many dialog designers make is to enable "OK" before it should
> be.  Until the requisite data are provided, it should be disabled.  Taking
> your password dialog example, if "OK" is disabled until a username and
> long-enough password are provided, pressing <Return> does nothing, because

Good design would use return to put you in the next text box
that required data (in this case the password box).
So while doing nothing is "correct" it is not the best answer.

But as you were better able to explain this in the first place you
probably already know that but hopefully the good design will sink into
the subconscious of others on the list.
I wish i could say what usability principle this illustrated, gotta
memorize the buzzwords!

> Reminds me of a story I saw in the New York Times about Slashdot the other
> day.  (That's right, not the other way around; you read that improbable
> sentence correctly.)  It seems on the front door to the office they have a
> little <Enter> key stolen from a keyboard, inviting you in.  On your way
> out, you'll see on the back of that same front door its older cousin:
> <Return>.

Yoink!
i am gonna copy that.

Later