Re: Dia library extensions

On Sun, 17 Nov 2002, Christophe Ponsard wrote:

> Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 19:34:58 +0100
> From: Christophe Ponsard <cp@cetic.be>
> To: dia-list@gnome.org
> Cc: Christophe Ponsard <cp@ceticsun.cetic.be>
> Subject: Dia library extensions
>
> Hello
>
> I am a new Dia user and I would like to introduce my own symbol library.
> I already had a look at the XML extension mechanism and successfully
> managed to introduce a new sheet and some custom shapes.

UML is coded, most other sheets are defined as XML.
I would like to know if the developers have any ideas as to how the UML
shapes could be transitioned at least partially to XML.

> At this point I have a few questions:
> - is it possible to define new connectors (the XML way)

i dont really know about the programmed shapes such as UML, undoubtedly
more connection points could be programmed into them but they are not
written as XML and my understanding is that you could not therefore change
them the XML way.

> - is it possible to "specialize" existing shapes/connectors (the XML way)
>     eg. have the UML actor icon display "agent"
>     eg. have the UML message connector displaying a default message

see above.

> - is there a web-site where people can post their own sheet for other
> people to use ??

Post a tarball anywhere you like.
if you would like the shapes to be included and distributed with Dia post
a link the mailinglist (do not mail attachments to the list please) or you
could create a bugzilla report and attacha  tarball of your shapes to the
report.

Please make sure that you give clear and thorough permission for Dia to
use the shapes provided, previous shapes had to be removed from Dia
not because of any object but because there was no clear permission and
the author was uncontactable.
(I suspect that there is no single one copyright holder of Dia which would
make future changes of licensing ridiculously difficult, in the unlikely
even they were needed).

Good luck

Sincerely
Alan Horkan