Re: About the zh_CN.GB2312 locale

> Too bad with the segfault with freetype, could you send the diagram that
> provokes it (to me personally if it is sensitive, I can't read Chinese:).
> The Gnome thing should be ok in the newest CVS.

A small example is attached (chinese.dia).

> The problem for this is that in the X setup, the font outlines are not
> available to programs, only bitmaps, so we can't include them (except in
> Freetype, but see above).  You will need to have the fonts in question
> installed for the PS viewer-printer in question.  If you do, I predict the
> characters will show up.

I don't know how to set up chinese TTF fonts for ghostscript.
When displaying a PS file generated by dia, ghostscript complains
that it can't find the Chinese font in question in the directory
/usr/share/ghostscript/Resource/Font/ (which is an empty directory).
While PS files generated by some other programs (gnome-edit, gnumeric,
AbiWord, mozilla, etc.) can be correctly viewed on my system, I think
that dia makes use of the PS fonts in a different way and my system
needs to be customized to supply the font information to gs, but I
don't know how to do it.

> Probably true, though I am no Chinese TeX expert.  Can you point to info
> about Chinese TeX, so we can do it the Right Way?

It is ok to keep the exported TeX file in the utf-8 encoding,
since users can do conversions later by hand with iconv.

There're two widely used Chinese TeX systems in the mainland China,
one is called CCT which was developed by myself some ten years ago
(ftp://ftp.cc.ac.cn/pub/cct, unfortunately most docs are in Chinese),
the other one (which is getting more and more popular) is the CJK
TeX (I don't know its URL, but I think you can easily find out).
CCT works exclusively with input files in the GBK encoding, so the
exported TeX files need to be converted to GBK encoding for using
them with CCT. I have never tried CJK TeX before, what I know is that
it supports multiple encodings, and you may need to accomodate dia
to add some TeX control sequences to define proper encoding and
style (of cause users can always do it by hand).

LB

--

chinese.dia