Re: fonts coming out squares

On Sat, 11 May 2002 00:44:38 -0400 "chad townsend" <chad@hq.mycity.com>
wrote:
> Lars Clausen wrote:
> > On Fri, 10 May 2002, chad townsend wrote:
> >
> >>when i type text it's coming out as little squares, what's causing
> >this?>thanks...
> >
> > Usually that means you're typing characters that's not supported by
> > the font.  Are you using non-ascii characters?  And which version of
> > Dia is this?
>
> i'm running the standard redhat 7.2, kernel 2.4.7-10 with Accelerated-X
> <- (might be the issue) on a vaio laptop.  XFree86 doesn't support my
> graphics card yet.
>
> everything else seems to work with fonts, gimp, etc.
>
> the more i think about it the more i think it's Accelerated-X because
> with the exact same setup on my other laptop dia works just fine using
> XFree86.

Chad,

You're conducting a useful experiment.  Like the old advertisement for
Ivory soap, I bet 99.44% of Dia users are running XFree86 (unless Win32,
which I suppose we could call !X!Free86).  Dia is relying on something
that's not valid in your environment.  Maybe your Accelerated-X
configuration is broken, but maybe it's perfectly fine (since other things
work), and Dia is missing a beat somehow.

As Lars said, it sounds like a font problem.  I wonder if it's related
somehow to Freetype support in Accelerated-X?  Maybe it can't find them?

I hope you'll talk to the Accelerated-X support folks, and that they'll
get you going.  If they say, no, you can't run Dia because of
such-and-such, people here will want to know.

Regards,
--jkl