./configure does not find libxml2 in dia-0.88.1

Greetings,

I am trying to install dia, compiling from source, on multiple unix
platforms (Linux, Solaris, IRIX, Tru64).  I've got dia-0.88.1.tar.gz
from GNOME/stable/sources.

I installed libxml2 because the gnome-xml FAQ says not to install
libxml!  (Plus libxml-1.8.17 doesn't build for me anyway...)

But ./configure chokes when it cannot find xml-config, and does not
look for xml2-config.  What should I do?  Messages in the dia-list
archives suggest that ./configure should find xml2-config.  Is that
only true for snapshots and CVS?  Are they considered stable, or
should I wait for the next proper release?  (We still have dia-0.86 as
shipped with on few RH-7.1 boxes here.)

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
David

  David Starks-Browning                  | starksb@ebi.ac.uk
  EMBL Outstation --                     |
  The European Bioinformatics Institute  |
  Wellcome Trust Genome Campus           | tel: +44 (1223) 494 616
  Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1SD, UK       | fax: +44 (1223) 494 468