Re: Conversion from CVS snapshot to released tarball?

On 2002-06-25 at 19:15 +0200, Cyrille Chepelov wrote:

> It seems you junk and non-junk addresses are going to be
> pretty much the same shortly... Aaah, the wonders of
> procmail+spamassassin...

Yeah, I subscribe to dia-list under andrew.junk, but may change
this --- my role in Pine defaults to andrew, and the mailing
list rejects that --- causes grief to whoever is mailing list
admin no doubt. So must think of a way round it.

> The released tarball (not the snapshots) is built by running
> "make dist". This does involve pretty heavily automake.

OK.

> Currently, AUTHORS is only an EXTRA_DIST file; which means
> "dead weight 'make dist' has to carry over for building a
> tarball, but that's it".

Right. I presume 'make install' from the tarball version will
install AUTHORS (haven't tested this, will do in a second).

> I've just got an idea: why not decide that the C structure is
> the "authoritative" one, and add a flag --credits, which
> would simply print them (roughly with the same format as the
> current AUTHORS file). We would then build AUTHORS from the
> dia binary rather than the other way around...
>
> (with a small dependency like
>
> AUTHORS: app/dia app/run_dia.sh app/commands.c
> 	app/run_dia.sh --credits > AUTHORS
>
> ) This would also nicely take care of the Win32 "problem".

Sounds nifty. OK, will look into doing this then --- try and
develop a patch for it.

Thanks for all the explanation. Sorry, really should probably
sit down and read automake/autoconf documentation sometime
soon, as only have a hazy understanding of how it all works.
Can anyone recommend a good introductory document?

Regards,
Andrew.

--
Andrew Ferrier