Re: Getting rid of old home-grown FontSelector

At 21:27 24.06.02 -0500, Lars Clausen wrote:
>On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Cyrille Chepelov wrote:
>[...]
>Hmmm... not pretty either.  I for one lean towards allowing the user to
>choose how many to see:  Just the sans, serif, etc, just the 'standard'
>postscript fonts, just fonts that cover a certain range of chars, all
>fonts... but that's an awful lot of choice to put on the user.

Whole heartly agreeing to the last sentence.

>> What about drawing the button only with the respective font, and if the
>> button is clicked, then drawing the menu with the regular font ?
>>
>> In case of a dingbat font, the selected entry will give the name. Or
>> maybe we could interrogate the font for coverage of Roman script, and if
>> not,...  no, wrong idea. Dingbat fonts lie about their coverage map.
>
>Look, much as this is a fascinating idea to ponder, we have enough other
>things to fix right now.  We should be happy that it works and look at
>other stuff that doesn't -- such as non-left alignment in zoom != 100%.

IMHO this just isn't a valid argument in an open source environment.
If there is someone who especially cares about the prettyness of
the font selector and comes up with a reasonable solution don't
try to stop him doing it.
Obviously for the project to survive there also need to be people who
care for real functionality ...

>I for instance just noticed that the standard Text object ignored the
>settings from its defaults dialog -- change it to use the stdprops dialog,
>and it works just fine.

There are much more issues
- setting the cursor while editing text in the canvas ...
- all fonts displayed are about 30 % larger than with Dia 0.90 ->
  force rearranging of all old diagrams if it stays this way
- the font baseline placement has changed (try broken-files/fonts-0.0.dia)
- ...

	Hans