Re: Getting rid of old home-grown FontSelector

Le Mon, Jun 24, 2002, à 04:57:16PM -0500, Lars Clausen a écrit:
> On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Hans Breuer wrote:
> > After fidling half the last night in widgets.c to make our home-grown
> > FontSelector work with the recent DiaFont changes I've given up.
>
> I am thinking now that making style 0 be normal obliquity/normal weight was
> a really bad decision.  It's better to have a linear scale for them all.
> (Argh!  Another change in font.h!).  The hack in
> dia_font_selector_set_styles is an easy way to sort and remove duplicates
> for styles.  A few fixes, and it seems quite workable.  I'll commit after
> I'm done compiling (and making dinner, I'm afraid:)
>
> > Is there any reason we shouldn't use the standard GtkFontSelector and
> > integrate it into Dia like the GtkColorSelector ?
>
> The main reason I see is that we can avoid a complex window popping up
> every time we want to change font.

Could we add a [...] button to the right of the style combo (or stack them
differently :
	[ family combo     \/][...]
	[ Style  \/][ size up/down])

This [...] button would invoke a GtkFontSelector.

Another suggestion: when there are more than $THRESHOLD fonts (like, twenty
or thirty), is it possible to switch to an alphabetical menu/submenu thing ?

 a --> arial
 b     arial black
 c     avantgarde

(unavailable letters being simply hidden to avoid clutter).

> > If the answer is no, I'm ready to apply the new version which works,
> > but needs some more graphical sugar (currently it only has a button
> > with the font description, but it could even draw this in the
> > respective font :-)
>
> Drawing it with the respective font is a bad idea -- some fonts
> (e.g. dingbats) aren't readable as font names.

What about drawing the button only with the respective font, and if the
button is clicked, then drawing the menu with the regular font ?

In case of a dingbat font, the selected entry will give the name. Or maybe
we could interrogate the font for coverage of Roman script, and if not,...
no, wrong idea. Dingbat fonts lie about their coverage map.

Grumpf.