Re: wysiwig TeX in dia

> Please don't break simple file-and-directories based
> operation, and please
> don't break Win32.
I am not going to cause any problems I promise. I am
not a troublemaker! I am also asking you first before
going off and just hacking your code that you have
been carefully putting together.

I just think that DIA is a good tool in the right
position to make a difference.
Of course I will do my homework and do a full review
of the dia source code before changing anything. Also,
I use Win32 and would use DIA more often so I can test
it.

> > > apply the change; and an
> > > XML "conflict resolver tool" which would take
> the
> > > "tree-with-conflicts" left
> > > by the XML patch and allow the user to
> graphically
> > > resolve the thing.
> > Yes, I aggree. We should also use tools that
> exist.
> > See :
> > http://www.logilab.org/xmldiff/
> > http://diffxml.sourceforge.net/
> > http://www.xmldb.org/index.html
> > XUpdate http://www.xmldb.org/xupdate/
>
> I see you're well aware of the exiisting tools. So,
> here's I think a very
> useful and immediately useful task: make CVS less
> dumb about XML files. Any
> taker ?
To be honest, I have not tried CVS on XML files.  I
mean not the DIFF. Do you mean for DIFFING the dia
output? Do you want to extend CVS proper or transform
the XML into a DIFF freindly output?

I can imagine a transfomation into more verbose XML
format that has each attribute on its own line and has
lots of meta data on each line, like an XPATH leading
up to the element. This would allow for and easier
diffing.
Can you limit the scope of the problem to something
more concrete?

> > The XML object can be updated and queried with
> effects
> > on the DIA object, and vice versa. Both are just
> > different views and encodings on the same abstract
> > data.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> Have fun; this looks like having an incredible
> potential, as seen in an
> xterm, but it also looks a wee bit too abstract (and
> vapourware) for the
> limited share of wetware bandwidth I'm able to
> commit to dia. I'll keep my feet as
> close to the ground as I can until I see working
> code...
Fair enough. I think the right place is in LIBXML, to
add in some opaque in-memory pointer system and
callbacks.. I will look into that first.

Mike

=====
James Michael DuPont