Re: wysiwig TeX in dia

Le Thu, Jun 20, 2002, à 12:44:17AM -0700, James Michael DuPont a écrit:

> > Oh, I see. You want to turn a core full of the
> > assumption that it owns the
> > diagram and all its subcomponents, into a core
> > paranoid about
> > externally-triggered changes.
> Yes. A listener for update messages on watched
> objects.
> A model - view - controller, where the model is
> distributed. The views controllers are connected via a
> data backbone.

I see.

> >This looks like every
> > possible thing but a
> > trivial undertaking in my book (about like
> > transforming a simple diagramming
> > tool into a CAD package, probably...).
> Yes it is not trivial. But DIA is a real good starting
> point. We shoul not be afraid to try.
>
> > I can see good reasons for implementing what you
> > describe, but it's
> > definitely not a "simple Perl::DBD hack job".
> It is more complex you are right. Not easy, and we
> need a concept first.

Please don't break simple file-and-directories based operation, and please
don't break Win32.

> > apply the change; and an
> > XML "conflict resolver tool" which would take the
> > "tree-with-conflicts" left
> > by the XML patch and allow the user to graphically
> > resolve the thing.
> Yes, I aggree. We should also use tools that exist.
> See :
> http://www.logilab.org/xmldiff/
> http://diffxml.sourceforge.net/
> http://www.xmldb.org/index.html
> XUpdate http://www.xmldb.org/xupdate/

I see you're well aware of the exiisting tools. So, here's I think a very
useful and immediately useful task: make CVS less dumb about XML files. Any
taker ?

[snip]

> The XML object can be updated and queried with effects
> on the DIA object, and vice versa. Both are just
> different views and encodings on the same abstract
> data.
>
> What do you think?

Have fun; this looks like having an incredible potential, as seen in an
xterm, but it also looks a wee bit too abstract (and vapourware) for the
limited share of wetware bandwidth I'm able to commit to dia. I'll keep my feet as
close to the ground as I can until I see working code...

Grumpf.