Re: tranlations

On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, Cyrille Chepelov wrote:

> Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 22:26:48 +0200
> From: Cyrille Chepelov <cyrille@chepelov.org>
> To: dia-list@gnome.org
> Subject: Re: tranlations
>
> Le Mon, Jul 01, 2002, à 07:00:40PM +0100, Alan Horkan a écrit:
>
> > I thought from Cyrille saying "have fun!" he was suggesting that the names
> > would be difficult to translate.  I was offering to change the English
> > names to something better if it would make them easier to translate.
>
> I was referring to the serious dip in the third of the graphics at
> http://www.crans.org/~chepelov/dia/translation-graph/reports/ (where
> "Top-Tier" is defined as "more than 95% of translations").
>
> While doing the French translation today, I noticed that the fuzzy
> translations can overinflate the score (while puzzling end-users). I'll see
> how I can  update the graphics scripts (and CTR) to better take this into
> account.

it also looks really weird that en_GB is only 1% but as the person at
Abiword who started en-IE, en-GB, and then saw en-AU, en-NZ and one or two
others i understand the score (and developed a huge distaste for
localisation, it is too difficult to maintain the same tiny change across
5 locales, while also trying to translate Abiword into a minority langauge
like Irish)

AFAIK gettext does not do locales very well
recently one of the abiword developers was adding all sorts of
unusual and esoteric langauge codes not just of the form xx-XX

you would be amazed the huge variety of people out there who would like
abiword to work in their language (although you probably encountered about
half of them looking for Dia in their langauge.

enough of my jabbering on about abiword, i should be doing something more
useful ...

Later
Alan