Re: Unit selection input

Hi all,

I have been using dia for some time now and I am very impressed.  Good
job.........

Over the years I have used many other drawing packages (Mechanical CAD, PCB
Layout/Schematic Capture and Diagramming).  In all the cases I am familiar
with the, the units and scale factors can be set on a per layer basis. Idea 1
below would allow us to have separate units for each layer.

I would like to make the following suggestions.  Please feel free to nuke
them as needed.

1. All dimensions in all items/objects be kept in some universal units.  Then
converted to output and from input.  This would allow the changing of the
units without changing the physical size of the objects.

2. Scaling be specified per layer.  This would allow a background (Title
Block, Border etc.) to be scaled for the drawing.  If the drawing items need
to be scaled to fit in the paper, the background would not.

3. Allow the user to create a layer which is a scaled view of a (portion of)
another layer (set of layers).  -OR - Create a view object which would show a
scaled "view" of some portion of the drawing.  This, of course, would allow a
detail or overview view to be created.

Thanks, Keep up the good work,
John Volpe