Re: working progress for UTF-8

At 07:15 18.01.02 +0100, Cyrille Chepelov wrote:
>Le jeu, jan 17, 2002, à 09:52:38 +0000, Michael Meeks a écrit:
>

>Michael,
>
>> 	It would most likely be more productive to help with the Gnome 2.0
>> port, there was a therad about it last week; rather than re-write the
>> i18n work [ not using utf-8: wchar !? ]  under the Gnome 1.4 platform,
>
>The GNOME 2.0 port can't really be done until the UTF-8 audit is complete.
>We still have too many 8-bit-isms everywhere. Completing that will benefit
>all three platforms (as explained in my reply to Akira).

IMHO the UTF-8 audit can more easily be done while porting to GTK 2.0.
Doing it in it's own branch would allow to remove almost all of those
#ifdef mess, because GTK+ 2.0 requires (GUI-)strings to be in UTF-8
and offers many of the tools to work with them (g_locale_to_utf8,
g_convert(_with_iconv), g_utf8_*)

Look at glib/gunicode.h and glib/gconvert.h. Also GTK+ is now official
api frozen so most of the arguments against

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 21:10:31 +0200
To: dia-list@lysator.liu.se
From: Hans Breuer <hans@breuer.org>
Subject: Target Gtk+2.0 (was Re: plug-ins/renderer.inc)

should now be resolved. If someone with better cvs access than mine
could create the branch TARGET_GTK_2_0 I would love to contribute/
apply patches to make Dia GTK+ 2.0 aware. (That is making it work under
win32).

Regards,
	Hans