Re: Structuring DIA sheets

On 16 Dec 2002 09:33:53 -0600, Lars Clausen <lrclause@cs.uiuc.edu> wrote:
> > as the number of dia sheets is now quite large,
> > I guess it would be interesting to have some
> > structuring/display mechanism to manage them such as:
> > - grouping sheets by category (and maybe subcategory)
> > eg. network, electrical engineering, software engineering,...
> > - associating a subset of working sheet to each open diagram.
> >
> > Was this issue already discussed on the list and were some proposals
> > made?  I am willing to contribute.
>
> There's been some discussion recently.  We're thinking of having a
> treeview for it.

May I offer a noodle?

The "many sheets, sire" problem (with apologies to Amadeus) would be
neatly solved if:

1.  diagrams could be nested, and
2.  sheets were diagrams.

If that's too ambitious, surely it's possible to put shapes in arbitrary
directories and adapt someone's File manager tree view to the purpose?

It would be good if users could organize their own sheets, and it would be
especially good if they didn't have to use Dia or configure Dia to do so.

The problem is not very different from managing a mail store in an MUA.
In fact, if there were a standard XML folder DTD, I'd suggest that as a
starting point.

--jkl