Re: Structuring DIA sheets

On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 09:33:53AM -0600, Lars Clausen wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Christophe Ponsard wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > as the number of dia sheets is now quite large,
> > I guess it would be interesting to have some
> > structuring/display mechanism to manage them such as:
> > - grouping sheets by category (and maybe subcategory)
> > eg. network, electrical engineering, software engineering,...
> > - associating a subset of working sheet to each open diagram.
> >
> > Was this issue already discussed on the list and were some proposals made
> > ?  I am willing to contribute.
>
> There's been some discussion recently.  We're thinking of having a treeview
> for it.
>
> I'm not sure what it'd mean to associate a (subset of) a sheet to a
> diagram, could you explain further?  Dia allows you to mix elements from
> different diagrams.

Hi all!

Pardon me if I reiterate something discussed here many times before,
but I see some areas of improvement in sheet/shapes handling:

1) Tree structure of sheets/shapes ala Visio (obvious)

2) I think it could be handy, if it would be possible to select more
   than one sheet at once: for example, I might need to use shapes from both
   Network and Cisco sheets when drawing some diagram and it would be more handy
   if I could just show both sheets at once in the toolbox.
   Creating a new sheet just for it is an overkill.

   To allow this, the sheet menu items could be changed to checkbox items;
   the shapes from selected sheets would be displayed with nice separators
   between the sheets.

3) There should be a way to store the shapes in dia documents, to allow
   for shapes and sheets differing between various users. It would be better
   if all my network sheets would not change just because somebody finally
   decided that the connection points should be adjusted a bit.

   Maybe it could be done with a possibility to update the document with
   user's current sheet - e.g. msg box "The shapes used in this document
   are version 1.22, but you have version 1.20 [or 1.30] on your HDD.
   Do you want to update the document?" Something like that.

4) Finally, would not it be better if shape names were defined directly in the
   shape files, only defining them in a sheet if you need to override the names?

Jarda Benkovsky

--
GCM/IT d- s:+ a- C++(+++) ULOI++++$ P++ L+++>++++ E+ W++
N w--- PS+ PE++ Y+ PGP R+ tv- b+++ D+ e+++ y+