Re: new user question

On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, Andrew Ferrier wrote:

> Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 09:22:57 +0100 (BST)
> From: Andrew Ferrier <andrew.junk@new-destiny.co.uk>
> To: dia-list@gnome.org
> Subject: Re: new user question
>
> On 2002-08-22 at 22:54 +0100, Alan Horkan wrote:
>
> > on windows the best way to do that would probably be to export as WMF
> > (Windows Meta File).
> > Exporting as PNG would also work pretty well.
>
> I know the Windows port has been going through some trials and
> tribulations recently (ah-hem) [ps: your work is very much
> appreciated by two people I know Hans, please keep it up], but
> have there ever been any thoughts towards making it more
> Windowsy?

I could look at the state of themes in GTK2 for windows
Tor said ages ago that he could not be bothered getting themes to work
with GTK1.x when he knew it was going to be overhauled.
Depending on the status of GTK2 it might be possible to get a theme that
looks more like Redmond.

> In particular with reference to this discussion, what about
> adding in OLE support (or whatever ActiveNonsense Microsoft
> call it this week) to make this stuff more familiar to novices?
> I guess that would be non-trivial... anyone any thoughts?

It sounds nasty.  I dont know what plans if any Abiword have but i know
they would have plenty of ideas on the subject seeing as they are among
the few Gnome projects that run on Windows as a well.
(i am really looking forward to when Chema has time to remove all the gnome dep's from
gnome print and Dom adds SVG support, something both Dia and Abiword will
benifit from I expect).

> > Is there any way you can turn off HTML email?  it really gets
> > up my nose and generally annoys me.

> Yeah, use Pine :)

I already use Pine (am trying to configure mutt nicely and then start
using it instead or maybe i will try Evolution).
But there is probably some hidden option buried somewhere in Micrsofts
prodcuts that allows you to turn of the HTML.   I will really have to put
together a tutorial on how to turn off HTML in various mailers, i am
always asking people to do it.

Later
Alan