Re: WIN32 compilation, the spirit of GNU software.

I have to bring this back up, even if you may hate me for it.
Here are some appropriate quotes from
the GPL FAQ:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#SourceAndBinaryOnDifferentSites
Can I put the binaries on my Internet server and put the source on a
different Internet site? --- NO you cannot

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DistributeExtendedBinary
I want to distribute binaries, but distributing complete source is
inconvenient. Is it ok if I give users the diffs from the "standard"
version along with the binaries?
--- NO, you need to provide complete sources, not just diffs, with the
binaries.

I think you will all have to review your practices of distribution of
binaries.

Mike

Here are the full texts as follows :

I want to distribute an extended version of a GPL-covered program in
binary form. Is it enough to distribute the source for the original
version? --NO you cannot

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DistributingSourceIsInconvenient

This FAQ clearly covers the practices of the DIA win32 distribution.
It shows how putting

Can I put the binaries on my Internet server and put the source on a
different Internet site?
The GPL says you must offer access to copy the source code "from the
same place"; that is, next to the binaries. However, if you make
arrangements with another site to keep the necessary source code
available, and put a link or cross-reference to the source code next to
the binaries, we think that qualifies as "from the same place".
Note, however, that it is not enough to find some site that happens to
have the appropriate source code today, and tell people to look there.
Tomorrow that site may have deleted that source code, or simply
replaced it with a newer version of the same program. Then you would no
longer be complying with the GPL requirements. To make a reasonable
effort to comply, you need to make a positive arrangement with the
other site, and thus ensure that the source will be available there for
as long as you keep the binaries available.

I want to distribute an extended version of a GPL-covered program in
binary form. Is it enough to distribute the source for the original
version?
No, you must supply the source code that corresponds to the binary.
Corresponding source means the source from which users can rebuild the
same binary.
Part of the idea of free software is that users should have access to
the source code for *the programs they use*. Those using your version
should have access to the source code for your version.

A major goal of the GPL is to build up the Free World by making sure
that improvement to a free program are themselves free. If you release
an improved version of a GPL-covered program, you must release the
improved source code under the GPL.

I want to distribute binaries, but distributing complete source is
inconvenient. Is it ok if I give users the diffs from the "standard"
version along with the binaries?
This is a well-meaning request, but this method of providing the source
doesn't really do the job.
A user that wants the source a year from now may be unable to get the
proper version from another site at that time. The standard
distribution site may have a newer version, but the same diffs probably
won't work with that version.

So you need to provide complete sources, not just diffs, with the
binaries.

=====
James Michael DuPont
http://introspector.sourceforge.net/