Re: WIN32 compilation, UML Sequence Diagrams and Inheritance arrowsand the spirit of GNU software.

> I still have gotten *no* answers from my requests for help
> compiling under windows32. This is my last try before going
> crazy!

As others have stated, the GPL does not mandate that technical
support has to be provided. It doesn't mandate that people have
to answer your emails. It doesn't mandate they have to be
polite. All of these are optional. Please understand that. Most
of the guys here try their best in their limited spare time.
Maybe your emails have been missed. Try again now that you've
attracted everyone's attention!

> It cannot be that you are distributing the executables, but
> not the source code that can be used to build it. That is
> completly against the GNU license!

Of course the GPL does mandate that all the sources have to be
available, as we all well know. But as Cyrille has stated,
others have said they believe, and I believe, any missing
sources or other files are far more likely to be due to a
mistake or a bug than deliberate flaunting of the GPL. Surely
you appreciate this?

Why not help try to fix these bugs by reporting them and/or
fixing them? You can report bugs online using Gnome Bugzilla.
Cc them to this list if you think they are particularly
important, then all will see them. At least then they will be
on record.

> Would someone be kind enough to upload a snapshot of the
> environment for compiling dia under windows? I would
> volunteer to make it into something that is easier to use!
> Maybe a list of the versions of the dlls that are needed,
> where they can be gotten from?

By the sounds of things, I think this would be a very good
idea for all concerned, especially if you could help out with
this, James. Perhaps this could calm everything down again? :)

So far I've written a few bits and pieces for dia. If I'm being
honest, nothing much significant. But I have seen the hard work
the maintainers and core developers put in, and I think you're
doing them a disservice. Please try to work with them rather
than against them.

I hope you take my comments in the sense they were intended,
i.e. to help you and Dia, rather than as an vacuous argument
<grin>.

Regards,
Andrew.

--