Re: WIN32 compilation, UML Sequence Diagrams and Inheritance arrows and the spirit of GNU software.

At 16:19 19.08.02 +0200, Cyrille Chepelov wrote:
>Le Mon, Aug 19, 2002, à 06:32:08AM -0700, James Michael DuPont a écrit:
>> Dear All,
>>
>> I have been very frustrated multiple times by the mess of the win32
>> build environment, and I have to say that it is time to make some
>> improvements here.
>
>[snip]
>
>I don't want to be pointing fingers, and I understand your frustration, but
>until now, Hans Breuer is the only one doing compilations. He knows the GPL
>chapter and verse, for all I know.
Yupp. And I'm still pretty sure my binary distribution with enough
pointers to where to get the source as well as checking in everything
needed - beside some knowledge and the compiler - into gnome cvs
did fulfil the GPL requirements.

>However, he might be in vacation (I
>don't know for Germany for sure, but in France August is a very popular
>month for vacations...).

Not at all. To much work at work. And after reading mikes first
complain mail again at least I know why I didn't answer it.
(To much basics to explain there)

>All I know on Win32 is that mingw32 support is broken (if it ever worked),
>and the right way to compile is to use MSVC++ 6.0 no more no less (Hans,
>feel free to correct if I'm wrong).

MSVC 5.0 - 7.0 are tested and work. It should be quite simple if
one reads glib/README.win32

>> Hans web page says here [2]:
>> environment. >>All the win32 make and other files should be
>> available in gnome cvs. >>If not it would be a bug of mine. But
>> be warned: Dia on win32 is not >>yet ready to be build by
>> everyone.
>
>I stand corrected. He uses MSVC 5.0. Load the dsw (project file) into MSVC
>5.0, and try to compile.
There is no dsw file in all of gnome cvs. It's just much cleaner
to use handwritten makefile.msc as well as nmake. Beside not
depending on a specific compiler/ide version this is much more
manageable for about 140 gimp plug-ins or about 20 dia modules.

>He mentioned several times he uses CVS versions of
>gtk+, you'll have to ask him.

gtk-1-3-win32-production branch (this is almost gtk+1.2 api)

>> Well if you distribute the executables, then it is your duty to make
>> the stuff complete and up to date. You cannot just put that on to me to
>> do.
>
>GPL demands that the stuff is available, it does not mandate free (gratis)
>technical support. I believe Hans retains no file, and CVS includes
>everything which is needed to build on his platform, except for the
>libraries which are available elsewhere.
Very true.

>Happy ?

Nope. He's complaining elsewhere. Maybe he can stop Gimp binary
distributions, too ;-)

	Hans

>PS: one likely outcome of deliberately pissing off people like you just did
>is the removal of Win32 support, plain and simple.

Please don't do it in the cvs sources yet :)