Re: WIN32 compilation, UML Sequence Diagrams and Inheritance arrows and the spirit of GNU software.

At 07:30 19.08.02 -0700, James Michael DuPont wrote:
>Thanks for your tips. I will be trying *AGAIN* to compile from scratch.
>And I am willing to put the work into it.

Maybe you should first read _and understand_ some of the information
always linked from my page (and some more, i.e. tml's web site).

>[SNIP]
>
>> PS: one likely outcome of deliberately pissing off people like you
>> just did
>> is the removal of Win32 support, plain and simple.
>I know I could have pissed people off, but it looks like we need to get
>some movement here.

Just updated my Dia website ...

>On that note, the win32 is a popular platform.
>I cannot imagine that you would just drop it.

I can (and have just done).

>> PS2: an even better project would be to help out building the
>> dependencies
>> and dia proper on the mingw32 platform. This would untie dia from
>> MSVC,
>> which would be a Good Thing(tm)
>
>I am a advocate of the cygwin, and have seem many of these packages
>running under cygwin. I have not tried mingwin.

What a deep insight. The whole gtk+/win32 port is about _native_ win32
support, so is The Gimp on windoze as well as my Dia port.

>See this porting page :
>http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steven.obrien2/

There is no need to run an X server to get gtk+ running on win32 :)
But go right ahead.

	Hans