Re: Pango, UTF-8 & Latin1

Le Thu, Aug 01, 2002, à 01:15:46PM -0500, Lars Clausen a écrit:

> > With dia0.90+cvs, when you type ñ (\~n), dia doesn't display it an report
> > this error on console:
> > ** (dia:416): WARNING **: Invalid UTF8 string passed to
> > pango_layout_set_text()
> > What is annoying is that Latin1 coincides almost exactly with Unicode
> > 0080, so there should not be any problem.
>
> Ah, unfortunately almost doesn't work for computers.  We don't yet have a
> way to convert input from whatever encoding is used locally to UTF-8.  It's
> the Next Big Thing.

Indeed. To test UTF-8 output, I manually edited (emacsed) dia files and
pasted there UTF-8 text from the .sheet files. UTF-8 input needs somehow to
be debugged (but I reckon gtk's source may be a very good source of
inspiration. They must have solved the problem already, including dead
keys[*], XIM and other exotic things)

	-- Cyrille

[*] well, save for the gnome terminal, which "forces" me to misspell my
native language, and doesn't allow me to type my currency. Big Grumpf.

--
Grumpf.