Re: format conversion between DIA and graphviz (dot)?

On Wed, 03 Oct 2001, Steven Pothier wrote:

> The graphviz package, "dot" program does graph layout from a graph
> description given in a simple text format.
> It outputs a couple formats (not XML though).  Has anyone written
> anything to transform the formats used by DIA and graphviz?
>
> There is an obvious benefit to being able generated a graph in DIA
> format from a (layout free) textual format.
>
> If I find nothing here, I'll likely write a perl script to fullfill
> something like:
>
> dot -Tplain mygraph.dot | dotplain2dia.pl > mygraph.dia

Ah, yes, dot.  A wonderful little graph tool.  No, there is no
transformation from dot files to dia files, nor does Dia read dot
output.  I'd love to see either.

> P.S.
> graphviz is described at: http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/graphviz
>
> P.S.S. I fantasize that I have a tools that completely integrates DIA
> and graphviz so that I can do automatic layout, transformations,
> filtering AND easy manual editing with the same tool.

That would be sweet indeed.  Take a look at plug-ins/xfig/xfig-import.c if
you want to do it as an import filter.  Otherwise, look at any of the
.dia-generating tools listed in the Links section of the Dia page.