Cannot connect one line end point to another line end point

I am using gnome-0.88 on a Debian GNU/Linux x86.

If I create 2 lines (ordinary lines, not zig zag), I can connect the
end point of one line to an internal connection point of another line.
However, I cannot connect the end point of one line to the end point
of another line.  Is this the correct behavior?  Can this behavior be
changed so that two end points can connect to one another?  Is this
behavior already available and I just can't figure out how to do it?

--
Kevin Dalley
kevind@rahul.net