ER - Format Question

Hi!

I started writing a program to create a relational scheme
from a ER-digram created with dia (I later want to transform
the scheme to SQL). I got quiet far (thanks to not having to
write a parser), but got stuck at the following:

If a relation has a cardinality, I cannot figure out which
connected entity is on which side. So when I have a 1:N
cardinality I don't know which connected entity is 1 and
which is N.

Any ideas how to solve this problem?

thanks,

cr

P.s.: Dia is outstanding. It just lacks SQL-exports ;-)