Re: Using Dia for Gantt Charts

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Hugh Cowan wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am currently using MS-Visio for Windows 95.  I am looking at eventually
> moving over to Linux / Unix platform.  In the meantime I am looking at
> which applications I will use on Linux and seeing if there are Windows
> versions that I can work with first to make the transition easier.
>
> I have read that the best equivalent to Visio is probably Dia.  What I am
> wondering is if Dia can be used to create Gantt charts like in Visio??
> Currently, I primarily use Visio for doing Gantt charts and basic flow
> diagrams.  Dia closely resembles Visio.  I don't know if that is in just
> looks and feel or also in functionality.

Dia does not curerntly support Gantt charts, tough there's nothing to stop
you from implemeting them.  However, I don't really think Dia is the ideal
tool for such.

> If not, does anyone know a good program for Linux that will help create
> Gantt charts like Visio?? I know that it can be done manually using
> spreadsheets but I am looking for a little more help and automation.

There is a PM FAQ at <URL:http://www.wilcoxon.org/projplan/answers-2.html>
that lists several.  Also check TeXProject
<URL:http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/~gurari/systems.html>.  I would
personally go for a LaTeX solution, but YMMV.

Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause) | Hårdgrim of Numenor
"I do not agree with a word that you say, but I    | Retainer of Sir Kegg
will defend to the death your right to say it."    |   of Westfield
    --Evelyn Beatrice Hall paraphrasing Voltaire   | Chaos Berserker of Khorne