Re: SGV-sgv, ...not svg? sure?

On Sat, 07 Jul 2001, James K. Lowden wrote:

>> Saying that 2 URIs with different path sections are or should be the
>> same resource is plain wrong
>
> As indicated by "Namespaces in XML" at
> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml-names/ to wit:
>
>> [Definition:] URI references which identify namespaces are considered
>> identical when they are exactly the same character-for-character. Note
>> that URI references which are not identical in this sense may in fact be
>> functionally equivalent. Examples include URI references which differ
>> only in case, or which are in external entities which have different
>> effective base URIs.

RFC 2396 specifies that scheme names (http etc) and host names are case
insensitive:

> 6. URI Normalization and Equivalence
>
> In many cases, different URI strings may actually identify the
> identical resource. For example, the host names used in URL are
> actually case insensitive, and the URL <http://www.XEROX.com> is
> equivalent to <http://www.xerox.com>. In general, the rules for
> equivalence and definition of a normal form, if any, are scheme
> dependent. When a scheme uses elements of the common syntax, it will
> also use the common syntax equivalence rules, namely that the scheme
> and hostname are case insensitive and a URL with an explicit ":port",
> where the port is the default for the scheme, is equivalent to one
> where the port is elided.

However, the rest is case-sensitive (not explicitly stated, though).

Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause) | Hårdgrim of Numenor
"I do not agree with a word that you say, but I    | Retainer of Sir Kegg
will defend to the death your right to say it."    |   of Westfield
    --Evelyn Beatrice Hall paraphrasing Voltaire   | Chaos Berserker of Khorne