Re: UrShape Layout controversy

On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, Andre Kloss wrote:

> Hi, folks.
>
> Let's pull the pieces together:
>
> Lars writes:
>> There's a thing you will have to consider at some point (though
>> maybe not yet):  If you have an UrContainer A with an UrContainer
>> B within it, how do you add further UrShapes to A?
> a) Every UrContainer needs to have some border, at least with snapping

Chapin Charts has the border of interior shapes fall on top of the
containers border.

> b) Every UrContainer knows by his type if it can hold another UrShape,
> and will resize automaticially when the UrShape is dragged over (and
> if not dropped, restore the original size).

Yes, but if there is a container within a container, you can't tell which
you want to drop into.

>> You will also need a way to get UrShapes out of UrContainers.
> That a UrShape snaps to a UrContainer doesn't mean it can't be dragged
> out of it anymore.

Of course.  But we also want to be able to move the UrContainer and its
contents.  I'm thinking expelling a shape may have to be an object menu
point.

>> > I prefer Chapin charts.
>> Enlighten me to what a Chapin chart is.  I was referring to the
>> textbox widget as being a simple one to use at first.
> Oh, you mean no SVG test but rather something really simple. Ok, so be
> it. Chapin Charts btw. are also known as Nassi-Shneiderman-Diagrams or
> Structograms,

A little explanation of Chapin Charts is at
<URL:http://www.open.org/~prslkg/sy_chap.htm>

Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause) | Hårdgrim of Numenor
"I do not agree with a word that you say, but I    | Retainer of Sir Kegg
will defend to the death your right to say it."    |   of Westfield
    --Evelyn Beatrice Hall paraphrasing Voltaire   | Chaos Berserker of Khorne