Re: UrShape definition Part IV: Full header (?)

On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, Andre Kloss wrote:

> Hi again. John, you raised some points I dislike, so here's what I
> think:
>
>> > How can UrShapes interact? If a UrShape is dragged over a (free)
>> > UrContainer, it should snap into it until dragged out again. Any
>> > UrContainer that has means of containing another UrShape should resize
>> > to make place for one if one's dragged over. How does a UrShape know
>> > what UrContainer it is over?

[...]
>> I would think it were pretty annoying if I were dragging a shape
>> across container and it was suddenly sucked in.
> But only if you drag it to the container and drop it within a
> (adjustable) range of it. If you drag further, nothing happens (yet -
> maybe wa may want some more visual feedback in the future). I don't
> think that this would be too annoying. Maybe each diagram type could
> have its own "embedding" range?

There's a thing you will have to consider at some point (though maybe not
yet):  If you have an UrContainer A with an UrContainer B within it, how do
you add further UrShapes to A?  You will also need a way to get UrShapes
out of UrContainers.

Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause) | Hårdgrim of Numenor
"I do not agree with a word that you say, but I    | Retainer of Sir Kegg
will defend to the death your right to say it."    |   of Westfield
    --Evelyn Beatrice Hall paraphrasing Voltaire   | Chaos Berserker of Khorne