From:    Cyrille Chepelov chepelov@calixo.net
Sent:    Fri, 10 Aug 2001 11:01:17 +0200
To:      dia-list@gnome.org
Subject: Re: Rotate Objects

Le jeu, aoû 09, 2001, à 09:05:17 -0400, John Palmieri a écrit:

> Is this going to be an object domain solution or Dia domain?  As it is,
> UrShape will support arbitrary transforms (rotation and translations) of
> all visual object except the Gtk stuff(unless GTK supports this).  Will
> dia ask the object to rotate itself or will it do the transforms through
> its own rendering interface?  I want to know so that we don't end up
> with the UrShape code rotating itself and then Dia also doing the same.

The primary thing holding rotation is rendering texts ; Lars' freetype code
will eventually remove this limitation.

Afterwards, I see two ways: either we teach each object (and/or object family)
how to do this, or we monkey PostScript and teach transformations to
renderers (perhaps not generalised transformation matrices, but simply
stackable transformations, at least translations and rotations). In the
latter case, we'll have to let objects know about rotations anyway.

Either way, what counts is that the resulting code is well factored, and
does not result in sprinking trigonometry in the whole tree... but the one
who codes that will have the privilege to choose how to do this and where to
draw lines, most certainly.

Grumpf.