Re: Making plugins

On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 13:12 -0500, Larry Dennison wrote:
> Clement,
>
> I too am making a C-based plugin.  I started with the chronogram library as
> it seemed to use the standard Dia property management system.  Some quick
> notes on the integration of the new plugin:
>
> 1.  The plugins in are in the objects subdir, forking mostly involves
> copying and renaming.
> 2.  The Makefile.am in objects will need to know about your new plug-in as
> well.
> 3.  You'll need to create a stencil (?) sheet in the sheets directory so
> that the Dia gui will know about your plugin.  Makefile.am needs to be
> edited here as well.

Also remember to update configure.in to have it generate your Makefile.
Updating the Win32 makefile.msc's is also nice.

I do believe Chronogram is a good example.

> I am finding that the standard property management system wasn't expressive
> enough to deal with lists of structures - I have to use the techniques
> found in the UML library.  Note as well that the GtkList structure that the
> UML plugin uses is also deprecated in the latest GTK+.  I'm having to write
> my own using GtkListStore, etc. which is adding a lot of coding work.

AAAHHHHH!!!

Well, I guess we deserve that for not making a good list property yet.
But the code you add using non-deprecated methods will surely be useful
when we do a generic list property.  Much better than copying the UML
code.

Lars Clausen <lars raeder dk>