Re: Setting the properties of multiple selected objects in steadof just one (the first or only selected->data)

On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 14:49 +0100, Lars Clausen wrote:
> Philip Van Hoof sagde:
>
> >> This new one fixes some issues Hans explained on the mailinglists.
> >
> > And this new one is more correct about intersecting the properties.
>
> I have very little time and no home internet connection right now, so I
> just want to say that I love you for finally getting this annoying lack
> plugged.  Thank you!

Mind that it isn't yet accepted nor it isn't per sé true that it will be
available in a next version of Dia. The current implementation isn't yet
the way I want it to be:

o. I'd prefer a better menu-structure and a distinction between
"Selected objects" and "Currently selected object". Right now the menu
says "Objects". Whereas the properties dialog-box is using " Currently
selected object". I'd be better if there would be two menu's. One for
"Currently selected object" and one for "All selected objects".

o. A group-object inherits from object. Therefor it's possible to
overwrite the get_properties and apply_properties functions (they are
luckily functionpointers. I just hope that the function pointers are
using consistently in stead of the implementations for them. In which
case overwriting by just letting the functionpointer point to another
function for group-objects, is possible). I have plans to do so and to
implement a get_properties and a apply_properties for group-objects.

o. The undo/redo stuff will right now undo/redo the actions per object
that had been selected when we applied the properties. It won't undo the
whole set of actions in one time whereas the apply-button of the dialog
box does apply all properties in one time (for the end-user point of
view, that is). I'm not sure how to solve this. It might involve
altering the undo/redo code (making it possible to pack a set of
historical actions together or flagging actions to belong in a group
that is atomic and thus needs to be undone in group rather than
individually).

o. Comments and suggestions about this feature from users who have
actually tested it.

Short: It's all possible. However. So far I haven't received many
feedback from the core developers of Dia. Currently I am waiting for
that interrupt to be set, by them, with perhaps instructions and
thoughts, from them, on the mailinglist of Dia :-).

--
Philip Van Hoof, Software Developer @ Cronos
home: me at freax dot org