Re: Future developement, GtkUIManager XML Question?

Alan Horkan sagde:

> The below extract from Bugzilla suggests the possibility of moving to
> GTKUImanager.
> The API describes GtkUIManager as "Constructing menus and toolbars from an
> XML description".
>
> I'm just wondering if we were to move to an XML system for the user
> interface why not go the next step and use Glade like Gnumeric and Abiword
> do?
>
> Presumably there are downsides I'm not seeing but it isn't obvious
> to me so please do let me know.

Does the phrase "total rework of the entire user interface" sound
appealing?  I think not, not when we're aiming to stabilize for 1.0
eventually.  GtkUIManager seems like it is a straightforward change of an
already fairly systematic part of Dia.  And even that I have at fairly low
priority, bug fixes and my short list of features way higher.  Changing a
half-dozen hand-crafted and carefully debugged UI designs into
autogenerated stuff is no easy task.  We've had one part already generated
by Glade, and it wasn't bugfree, far from it.