Re: quick question about RDBMS schema

Greg Orlowski sagde:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm sure this has probably been asked on the list a dozen times, but I
> haven't been able to find info on it w/google so I'm asking (I just
> joined the list).
>
> I want to use dia to create rdbms schemas (table entity-relationship
> diagrams). Is there currently development to add appropriate
> shapes/types to do this w/dia? Do people currently just use UML class
> boxes to map this stuff out?

There's been some attempts at DB objects, but none that actually got
completed.  I believe everybody just use UML, which is kind of a kludge.

> If this isn't currently being developed, I might try to look @ the
> docs for making new shapes to add the functionality, but I imagine
> it's more complicated than just adding simple shapes because one would
> want text with the table names, PK's, FK's, similarly to the way it's
> set for UML class diagrams.

The UML objects are the most complex objects by a longshot.  Don't expect
to be able to do everything in RDBMS with shapes.

> thanks for any info you can give me. A referral to specific
> documentation would be great if the documentation exists.

There's some on the Dia Twiki
http://faemalia.org/wiki/view/Technical/DiaEditor and on the Dia docs page
http://www.gnome.org/projects/dia/docs.html.

Good luck!