Re: Supershapes for dia?

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004, W. Borgert wrote:

> Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 23:36:36 +0000
> From: W. Borgert <debacle@debian.org>
> To: dia-list@gnome.org
> Subject: Re: Supershapes for dia?
>
> On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 11:23:35PM +0000, Ian Redfern wrote:
> > OK, I've bitten.
> > The starfish shapes are really quite cute. However, I have to say that I
>
> Cool.  They're all very cute.
>
> > don't think vector graphics programs are appropriate for highly detailed
> > shapes like these - you end up with hundreds of polygon segments and
>
> Yes, you are right.  It's funny, but not really usable.
> Maybe one would have to implement the algorithms directly in
> the dia renderer engine.

Unfortunately one of the Inkscape developers was observant enough to
notice that the researcher is the kind of person that thinks it is
appropriate to try and patent mathematics:

http://www.geniaal.be/html/fs004technology.htm:

> The Superformula indeed can be used to increase the efficiency of
> various technological applications considerably. Shapes and patterns
> can be encoded in a much compacter way. For these developments a broad
> strategic patent application has been filed in the US, Europe and
> Japan.

Grumpf!

Integration for some sort of plot equation would be cool though, but I'd
say it isn't particularly likely but then again who knows what people will
be interested enough to develop.

- Alan