Re: The central connecting point (was: Re: 0.93-pre1 is out!)

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004, Lars Clausen wrote:

> On Sat, 2004-03-20 at 18:26, Philippe Biondi wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Sat, 20 Mar 2004, Lars Clausen wrote:
> >
> > > This time, if anyone feel like doing real development during the release
> > > process, we shall make a 0.94-devel branch.
> >
> > When (in time) do you think the following improvement would be ready :
> >
> > The central connection point :
> > - each object has, by default, a central connection point
> >   ==> any image can be imported as is and can be used quite decently
> > - this central CP can be used to connect as many lines as needed
> >   ==> this resolve the lack of CP for some objects, or for
> >       exceptionnal cases where you need 50 connections to the same object
> > - the line can be either :
> >   + cut in real time to its intersection with the bounding shape
> >   + or overlayed by the image (we can see it reach the center through
> >     transparent parts of the image)
> >   First solution has a better rendering, but I'm not against the second
> >   as a prototype.
> >
> > I'd really enjoy to see this feature quickly get in, because I think it
> > could help dia become a killer app in network admin teams : I've
> > experienced the magic combination : snmp+python+graphviz+dia, and this
> > point is the only thing missing for automatic network discovery and
> > representation.
>
> Obviously not in 0.93, but it's one of the things I would like to do
> next.  I'm not adverse to patches, of course.  I'd like to do object
> highlighting first, though, so that you can see what object is being
> targetted.

Great ! I'm waiting for that impatiently :)
Do you have an idea on how many weeks it may take ? (I've no idea about
the time between two dia releases)

--
Philippe Biondi <phil@ secdev.org>      SecDev.org
Security Consultant/R&D                 http://www.secdev.org