Re: PATCH: ellipse.c : central connection point

On Sat, 2004-03-06 at 18:54, Grégoire Dooms wrote:
> Lars Clausen wrote:
>
> >Thanks, it has been extended & committed.  Check anoncvs tomorrow, and
> >you will see a new & better way to handle ellipses.
> >
> Great.
>
> But I don't understand the use of the central handle. It seems to be
> used to move the ellipse. Why is it necessary as the ellipse can be
> moved by click&dragging anywhere inside it?

It is so that the center can be snapped to grid.

> On the one hand, resizing the ellipse while keeping the center in place
> is a very good idea. On the other hand some may be accustomed to the old
> way (opposite handle staying in place) like for rectangles.

Those who are just accustomed to it can relearn.  If there's a good
use-case for that way of resizing, I'm willing to listen, but I don't
want to add it just because that's how it used to be.

> What do you think of using meta-keys to switch from one way to the other ?
> And what about using an other meta-key to ensure the ellipse is a circle ?

Ensuring a circle is a different matter, and also a concern for the
box.  There's actually three possibilities:  Circle, keep aspect ratio,
and free resizing.  These could be implemented with a drop-down menu in
the properties (compare the FS - Flow and Standard - Image objects for
implementation).

> If you are interrested I can implement this and submit another patch.

I wouldn't mind an implementation for the circle/aspect/resize part,
though I think a meta key for that is overkill -- we don't have too many
metakeys, and I would like to save them for things that are a) common to
a number of objects, and b) something you want to turn on and off on a
whim.