Re: Automatic placement of objects in Dia

Lars Clausen wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 14:22, Anthony Reina wrote:
>
>>I've been using a program called postgresql_autodoc
>>(http://www.rbt.ca/autodoc/index.html) which creates database diagrams
>>that are outputted to Dia format. Unfortunately, all of the boxes for
>>the different database tables appear overtop of one another in Dia. Is
>>there a command in Dia that I could add to automatically place the boxes
>>so that they don't overlap?
>

> Dia does not have such a function itself at the moment.  It's not a
> simple thing to do, but if somebody actually implemented it, I'd be
> happy to use it.
Take a look at http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/graphviz/
It is a good program, and they focus only at "autopositioning".
So "dia XML -> graphviz format -> graphviz adnotated format -> dia XML"
or you can do "dia XML -> graphviz format -> ps/png...." and so on

happy hacking,
Pawel Rozanski