font config troubles with 0.93

I have slightly hairy X setup; I run Dia as an X client on a remote box,
and my local X server is long in tooth.  And I just re-installed all my
147 packages, including fontconfig and of course Dia.

When I start Dia, I get this:

$ dia

(process:12313): Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by Xlib

(process:12313): Gdk-WARNING **: can not set locale modifiers

** (dia:12313): WARNING **: Unable to open font file
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/UTBI__10-ISO8859-1.pcf.gz for font Fixed
12, exiting

The first two warning I know about, no problem.  The last one proves
fatal, as you can see.  I don't know where to go with it.  Is there some
way to find out why Dia was unable to open that file?  Some way to
persuade her to open some other font, instead?

Bluefish runs OK, so GTK2 and friends must be somewhat OK.

Thanks for any help.

--jkl