Re: adding connection points to UML class diagrams?

Tim Olsen schrieb:
[...] so that
the line from D to B does not touch the line from C to B--otherwise it
might look like D is also a subclass of A.

When I create classes in my version of Dia (0.94) they have connection points at least at every corner and in the middle. So I'm able to connect 3 associations to the bottom or top of each class and another to each side:

|    Class    |
Sample class, methods and attributes visible, '+' marks a connection point

However, there is no option to add a connection point to the class diagram. Any recommendations on what I should do?

Use the right 'class'-element, update your dia or describe the problem more detailed *g*.

Additionally to your lack of connection points I want to write some warning note: Avoid the usage of "multiple inheritance" and replace it with interfaces. Often "multiple inheritance" leads to a bad model melting together "roles" which should better stay apart from each other. For example a gui element (maybe a Button-class) should never become a business element (being able to perform some operation when pressed). Also gui elements should stay clean (melting together a list and a button makes no sense, use combo-boxes instead). With an interface your shure when it comes to casting. Mulitple inheritance can be quite confusing when using it as two different classes. Interfaces make it safe and clean. (If you don't have interfaces, use abstract classes being absolutely abstract, e.g. no method implementation. That's where you can use multiple inheritance to emulate the existance of interfaces)