Re: troubles compiling.

On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 06:46, whitty reeve wrote:
> Simple logic could have figured out all your questions.

I wonder if I'm the only one who thought this email to be quite rude.

>  OS: obvious, by the
> fact that i'm compiling it, it would be a *nix, now, that we have singled it
> down to a bsd (save darwin and a few others {i believe it's safe to say that i
> don't use them}) or linux. Does that matter? I doubt it.

You might be using Cygwin, for some strange reason. Instead of OS, he
probably should have said "distribution" (see below).

>  Second: Compiler:
> again, my error message i don't think spawns from a compiler error rather
> than a missing library.

I concur.

>  Origin of
> installed libpng, What should that matter? Other than a error in either
> package building or from me installing it from source,

Actually, it does matter. Some distributions ship libraries in two
packages (generally, a libname version and a libname-dev version).
libname-dev includes the header files needed for compiling against the
library. Since many of the distribution's users never compile for
themselves, but rather download prebuilt binaries, they do not need the
headers, and hence do not have libname-dev installed.

>  but if you had looked
> at the error message i think you would have made the connection between
> libart and my error.

For the benefit of those readers who, like myself, noticed that there is
no mentioned of libart in his error message:

http://www.gnome.org/projects/dia/faq.html#Compiling

>  Now back to libart, the link on the dia page for
> requirements is...not working, something is wrong with the linked page, it's
> an empty html document, i have googled for libart but have not seen another
> download location, any information would be appreciated.

According to my distribution's package, the homepage is:

http://www.levien.com/libart/

and the source is located at:

http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/sources/libart_lgpl/2.3/

What distribution are you using, and is there a good reason for not
using the distribution-provided packages?

> whitty>> I'm having troubles compiling .94, The only thing i could
figure
> > was, i didn't whitty>> have libpng, how ever, i installed that, and i still
> > get problems. In file, whitty>> export_png.o there are a whole bunch of
> > undefined references to several whitty>> different functions. Here is a the
> > original error message from the first of whitty>> them:
> > whitty>> dia-0.94/app/export_png.c:138: undefined reference to
> > whitty>> `png_create_write_struct'
> > whitty>>
> > whitty>> This happens to each one of these:
> > whitty>> png_create_info_struct
> > whitty>> png_destroy_write_struct
> > whitty>> png_init_io
> > whitty>> png_set_IHDR