Compilation issue FreeType....

Ok, I give.  I am trying to install Dia on my Slackware-current Gtk+ 2.4
Gnome 2.4 system, and when I run configure, it tells me that I don't
have the latest FreeType. So I downloaded the latest Free Type,
following the link, version 2.1.7, and installed it via ./configure
--prefix=/usr make make install, all worked fine.  And when I to to
rerun configure for Dia, it keeps telling me I don't have the latest
version... I even did a Microsoft, reboot, and I keep stalling on the
FreeType check.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Sean