RE: Another feature request (CVS integration)

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004, Ribeiro, Glauber wrote:

> Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 12:22:30 -0500 From: "Ribeiro, Glauber"
> <Glauber.Ribeiro@experian.com> Reply-To: dia-list@gnome.org To:
> dia-list@gnome.org Subject: RE: Another feature request (CVS
> integration)
>
> This may not be very easy to do. To integrate well with CVS, you
> probably want to save your diagrams uncompressed and also "pretty
> printed" or at least with line breaks, to maximize CVS' ability to
> handle it (CVS tracks changes by line).

> -----Original Message----- From: dia-list-admin@gnome.org
> [mailto:dia-list-admin@gnome.org]On Behalf Of lucc Sent: Tuesday, April
> 13, 2004 12:19 To: dia-list@gnome.org Subject: Another feature request
>

> Hi,
>
>     Following in the thread 'easy to implement' features, another
> feature that would be very useful is an integration between dia and a
> versioning tool like CVS. I've been thinking of a menu item "Commit" or
> something like that. It would also be nice if the current version would
> be shown somewhere in the diagram window, perhaps in the window title.

This has been suggested a few times before but I dont think there is a
report in Bugzilla.  I believe people have put together their own
solutions but not anything integrated with Dia.
XML aware diff tools do exist.  If I recall correctly using normal diff
tools also works but not very well.

Dia files are all pretty printed (for a while compressed files were not
pretty printed but I think they are now*).

Rather than getting Dia to work with just CVS specifically it might be
better to look into something more genearlised like Gnome-VFS support**
(or
something) and try to get WebDAV (and more) to improve your support for
workflow management.

It would probably be a good ideo to gather some links from the mailing
list archives on this topic and maybe put them on the web page or Wiki.
I dont have time to do it right now but I might later.

If someone had the time and interest to develop this idea I'm sure patches
would be gratefully accepted.  Otherwise it would probably be a good idea
to file a request in Bugzilla, http://bugzilla.gnome.org

Sincerely

- Alan H

* nope sorry, haven't checked to see what support Dia may or may not have
for Gnome-VFS
** nope sorry, dont have a copy of Dia on this machine so I didn't check
it

Sorry, but I hope a prompt reply that lets you find out more for yourself
if you are in a hurry is better than saying nothing and responding with a
more detailed reply much later.